Call for Nominations, Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Cognition and Development
The Journal of Cognition and Development, the official journal of the Cognitive Development Society (CDS), publishes rigorous and original research informing all aspects of cognitive development and embraces a variety of perspectives and methodologies. We are seeking nominations for the Editor-in-Chief, with the term to begin in Fall, 2021.
The successful candidate for the position of JCD Editor will be recognized internationally for their achievements in this area and have a track record of publications and presentations at conferences. They will also have an extensive international network of contacts, so that the profile of the Journal can continue to be developed. The ideal candidate will be skilled in diplomacy, networking, and written and verbal communication. The ideal candidate will also be committed to broadly ensuring that a diversity of viewpoints, methodologies, and theoretical perspectives on the field are represented.
Other skills and/or experience the successful candidate should have include:
- Previous editorial experience
- Open science practice knowledge
- Strategic thinking skills to grow the journal with an increase in citations and impact factor
The position of the Editor includes:
• Managing the day-to-day operations of the Journal, especially the peer review process
• Management of the journal operating budget
• Facilitating thorough, fair, and fast peer review through the delegation of Associate Editors, the invitation of peer reviewers, and the synthesis of peer review reports into a manuscript decision
• Encouraging submissions from authors and serving as an ambassador of the Journal
• Monitoring and improving Journal operations and the effectiveness of the Journal’s editorial goals and policies
• Collaborating with the Publisher and CDS Board of Directors to explore strategic new initiatives, policies, and subject areas in order to enhance Journal quality and growth
• Maintaining regular communication with the Publisher to discuss the journal’s performance, operations, and management of the Associate Editors
• Managing Editorial Board, including inviting and retiring members and monitoring performance
• Maintaining regular communication with the Associate Editors and the Editorial Board to keep them engaged and energized.
The Editor of Journal will participate in Society Board Meetings as an Ex-Officio member and is responsible for ensuring the Board is kept apprised of any journal concerns.
The Editor of Journal shall have the power to delegate specific responsibilities to Associate Editors and the Editorial Board. To keep the flow of papers maintained and the decision times to a minimum, the successful candidate should be prepared to invest a small amount of time each day managing Journal concerns.
A sub-committee of the CDS Board of Directors will lead the search and process of Editor selection with the full Board of Directors reaching a final decision.
Applicants should send a covering letter, curriculum vitae, and a vision statement for the Journal in one pdf file. Please send all application materials by May 1, 2021 to the CDS Secretariat.